Internet Connection Manually in Windows
If you just want
to create a new dialup connection without
setting up an email account, or if you want
to setup each manually, follow these steps.
Creating a new connection can also be useful
as a troubleshooting step if you are having
- Double click My Computer.
- For Windows 95/98 double click Dial-Up Networking.
For Windows ME double click Control Panel and then Dial-Up
- Double click Make New Connection.
- Enter name for connection. This can be anything
- we recommend you enter Sylvan.
- Click Next.
- Enter the local dial-up phone number for where
you live. For Warsaw, enter 313-6016 and leave
the area code blank. Our other dialup numbers in the (804) area
code as well as a link to our National Dialup page can be found
by clicking here.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
95/98 follow the additional steps below.
If your computer has Windows ME you do not
need to take these steps.
- Right click the
new connection. Select Properties.
- Click on the Server
- Uncheck "Log on to Network",
- Click OK.
For all sytems in this
section (Windows 95/98/ME) continue the
additional steps below.
- Right click the new connection. Select
- Answer Yes to place it on your
- Close all windows (Control Panel, Dialup Networking)
that you opened.
- Click Start ->Settings ->Control
- Double click Internet Options.
- Click on the Connections tab.
- Below the connection list check the box that
says Dial whenever a network connection is not present.
- If there is more than one dialup connection
in the list, highlight the one you just created (probably called
Sylvan) and click Set Default. You may remove
any dialup connections you no longer need by highlighting them
and clicking Remove.
- Click Apply at the bottom.
- If you would like to set your start page (home
page) to Sylvaninfo.Net, click the General
tab at the top, and in the Home Page Address field enter
- The first time you attempt to connect to Sylvan,
a dialog box prompting for username and password will appear.
Enter these in lower case letters. Make sure to include @sylvaninfo.net
in the username.